May 01, 2017
Virginia State Bar E-News, May 2017
Effective July 1, 2017, the Supreme Court of Virginia approved amended Rules 7.1 through 7.5, which govern lawyer advertising.
The Court also has amended the following rules:
- Rule 5:5. Filing Deadlines; Post Trial Proceedings Below; Timely Filing by Mail; Inmate Filing; Extension of Time, effective April 17.
- Rule 5:32 and 5A:25. Responsibility of the Appellant and Responsibility of All Parties; and Sealed Materials in the Appendix, effective April 17.
- Rule 3B:2 and Rule 3C:2. Uniform Fine Schedule, effective April 15.
- Parts 5 and 5A Forms, effective May 1.
- Rule 5A:5(B)(2). Petition for a Writ of Actual Innocence; Form and Contents of Petition, effective May 1.
- Part Five and Part Five A. Appendix of Forms, effective May 1.
- Rule 5:13(c). Record on Appeal: Preparation and Transmission, effective July 1.
- Rule 5:17(a)(1). Petition for Appeal, effective July 1.
- Rule 5:21(a)(6). Special Rules Applicable to Certain Appeals of Right, effective July 1.
- Rule 1:24. Requirements for Court Payment Agreements for the Collection of Fines and Costs, effective July 1. Rule 1:24 has been amended as a result of the passage of House Bill 2386, Chapter 802, and Senate Bill 854, Chapter 806, during the 2017 General Assembly session, to become effective July 1, 2017.
The Supreme Court of Virginia will implement Appellate Judge Evaluations in 2018.
The Standing Committee on Legal Ethics is seeking comment on two proposed Legal Ethics Opinions:
- LEO 1885: Ethical considerations regarding a lawyer’s participation in an online attorney-client matching service.
- LEO 1887: Duties when a lawyer over whom no one has supervisory authority is impaired.
The MCLE Board is seeking comment on proposed changes to the standards for written instruction materials for approved CLE courses.
The 79th Annual Meeting, June 15-18, 2017, in Virginia Beach features eleven compelling CLEs on topics ranging from the death penalty to autism to disparaging trademarks. Please register here.
Updated: May 02, 2017
© 1996 - 2017 Virginia State Bar | 1111 East Main Street, Suite 700 | Richmond, Virginia 23219-0026
All Departments: (804) 775-0500
Telecommunication Device for the Deaf/TDD (Hearing-Impaired Only): 804-775-0502
Office Hours: Mon.-Fri. 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (excluding holidays)
Switch to the desktop site
The Clerk's Office does not accept filings after 4:45 p.m.